[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Sep 2 04:56:35 CEST 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Steve Maki <lists at oakcom.org> wrote:

> I haven't quite wrapped my head yet around the advantage of in-radio voice
> memories in general. Is it just to save a little hardware?

Voice memories in the radio always sounds the best, because you're using
the same microphone and hardware for both recording and on-air
transmissions, so you really can't hear a difference, which is ideal.  But
you are limited to a few messages and re-recording can be cumbersome.

On the other hand, using the .WAV file method, you can have save different
recordings for every contest and even for each operator at a multi-op.
That's what the numbered directories represent, the Contest ID (see
"Supported Contest IDs" in this file
<http://download.win-test.com/v4/lua/constants.wts>.)  But the audio
playback always sounds a little "different" than the live mic.  I don't
think many folks use the sped-up and slowed-down voice recordings; this was
just a "cool feature" added long ago that seems to have little use in
practice.

> Speaking of phone, it took me a little while to find the location where
> Win-Test saves it's function key voice memories. Looks like they are 16 bit
> 22.05 kHz mono wav files, in seemingly randomly named sub-folders.

See above.

> I was expecting that I'd be able to drop in my basic wav files from 20
> years ago (when I sounded more energetic lol) but that probably won't work.

Probably.

> Not because I can't resample them to 22k, but because of the speed changes
> on the alternate files.

You could just copy the same file to all the alternate names, and have no
speed changes, but it should work.

 If one wants paddle speed syncing, my current understanding is it's Winkey
> or in-radio memories, right?

Oh.  Yes, for very old radios that don't provide keyer speed changes via
software commands.  But they don't have commands to play CW memories either.

When running, you need to send the other station's call, and this is best
done by the logging software:  type a call and press INSERT to send CALL +
Exchange.  That doesn't work with CW memories, so you'd have to send every
call by hand, which is not how it's done these days, because Win-Test can
send callsigns better than you can. :-)

Note:  you don't have to finish typing the full call before you press
INSERT; you can type the first part of the call, press INSERT, then finish
typing the rest of the call; you get fewer "pauses" that way.