[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Sep 2 03:43:16 CEST 2018

On 09/01/18 17:57 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:

>     One question about your scripts: do your Yaesu scripts access the CW
>     & voice memories of the later Yaesu radios (like the 5000) without
>     any drawbacks?

> Voice memories only; and automatic REPEATING CQ mode is not available
> from Win-Test on Phone when using the voice memory scripts (Win-Test
> can't tell when a voice memory has stopped playing).  Yaesu rigs with a
> USB connector may provide a USB sound card that Win-Test can use instead
> of voice memories, then repeating CQ will work OK using the Win-Test
> Sound Card DVK feature.

I haven't quite wrapped my head yet around the advantage of in-radio
voice memories in general. Is it just to save a little hardware?

Speaking of phone, it took me a little while to find the location where
Win-Test saves it's function key voice memories. Looks like they are 16
bit 22.05 kHz mono wav files, in seemingly randomly named sub-folders.
The sped up and slowed down versions are created on the fly, very
interesting. I was expecting that I'd be able to drop in my basic wav
files from 20 years ago (when I sounded more energetic lol) but that
probably won't work. Not because I can't resample them to 22k, but
because of the speed changes on the alternate files.

> There's little reason to play CW memories stored in the radio when using
> Win-Test since it can key CW directly to the radio via several other
> means:  serial port DTR/RTS pins to NPN transistor keying interface, or
> a separate WinKey, or direct keying to virtual COM port DTR pin provided
> by the newest models (see PC KEYING DTR menu option in FT-891 and
> FT-991, not supported by FTdx5000).

If one wants paddle speed syncing, my current understanding is it's
Winkey or in-radio memories, right?

-Steve K8LX