[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Thu Sep 6 00:52:44 CEST 2018

On 09/01/18 22:56 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:

>> I haven't quite wrapped my head yet around the advantage of
>> in-radio voice memories in general. Is it just to save a little
>> hardware?

> Voice memories in the radio always sounds the best, because you're
> using the same microphone and hardware for both recording and on-air
> transmissions, so you really can't hear a difference, which is ideal.
> But you are limited to a few messages and re-recording can be
> cumbersome.

Of course even back in the day I used the same HC4 mic element (that I
used on-air) to record my canned messages. I'm a sound engineer (well
OK, just very serious semi-pro). Opened them in Sound Forge Pro, trimmed
them, normalized levels, etc. Seems like I can use the same method in
Win-Test if I want to. I'm just getting around to figuring out all the
housekeeping issues, and really appreciate your insight.

OTOH, there is value in being able to rerecord messages on the fly,
which works fine within Win-Test for creating PC files. If I can get
levels right and not have excessive dead air at the beginning and end of
the messages, that seems like the way to go.

> I don't think many folks use the sped-up and slowed-down voice
> recordings; this was just a "cool feature" added long ago that seems
> to have little use in practice.

I'm impressed with a little Win-Test speed up to counteract my slow
drawl, so I'm not rejecting that feature out of hand.

Thanks,

-Steve K8LX