[WT-support] Skimmer spots makes Wintest network very slow

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Dec 3 19:12:19 CET 2012

Did you disable spots logging?

>From Release.txt:

4.8.0 (June 26, 2011)

- DX Spots window (Alt-A) : New option to enable/disable logging of
  the incoming spots in the .dxc file. It is enabled by default. Under
  some circumstances (slow antivirus inspection, slow HDD, etc.),
  saving every spot (especially when using the RBN) was making Win-Test
  less responsive. The op-entered spots are always saved to allow their
  restoration on log startup. Tnx HA1AG @ ED9M.

- Packet window (Alt-O) : New option to enable/disable logging of
  the packet stream in the .pkt file. It is enabled by default. Under
  some circumstances (slow antivirus inspection, slow HDD, etc.),
  saving the packet data stream (especially when using the RBN) was
  making Win-Test less responsive. Tnx HA1AG @ ED9M.

For spots, Win-Test uses broadcast packets from the wtDxTelnet machine to
all the logging computers.  Is wtDxTelnet runnnig on the remote machine or
the in-shack machine?  Reading the description below, I don't completely
understand how your network is set up, but I think it is best to use a WiFi
"bridge" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridging_(networking)> between the
remote DSL Router and the Local (in-shack) router.  The logging computers
should only communicate with each other locally, no DSL traffic required.

But first disable packet logging; see if that is all you need to do.