[WT-support] Microkeyer II DVK with WT not working

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 20 03:38:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:

> Can you provide some details about the device and the protocol? From
> cursory surfing on http://www.microham.com/index1.html it seems that
> the device falls into the trap of COM port emulation over USB,
> instead of using a more efficient, tailor made, protocol.

But please, if some details are known about the protocol failues with
> this device, I would be happy to help come up with a solution.

The problems are related to Winkey PTT acknowledgment when using a microHAM
device, so there is yet another software layer involved.

See

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2011-August/081447.html

and the reply below (forwarded, because it does not appear in Win-Test
Archives for some reason), and the follow-up

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2011-August/081448.html

and subsequent posts to that long thread.

Other programs like N1MM Software do not write to the Winkey one character
at a time like Win-Test, so the problem doesn't happen with those, as far as
I understand.  This convinces the microHAM folks that it is strictly a
Win-Test bug.  I don't agree.

It's been easier to work around the problem by *not* using a Winkey with
Win-Test than to try to get all the developers (F5MZN, F6FVY, K1EL, and
OM7ZZ) to work out the proper fix.