[WT-support] microHAM u2R (micro2R) CW delays and headphone switching problems with Win-Test

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Aug 8 20:43:47 CEST 2011

Problem Summary:

u2R CW message delay problems still happening with Win-Test
Audio switching via Win-Test software mostly ignored when using u2R

Workaround:

Use COM port CW keying and Classic Auto Control
Do not tell Win-Test that you have a u2R (uncheck the control port in
Interfaces Configuration)
Unplug PTT lines between Radio and u2R

As a guest operator at W7RN this weekend, I attempted to use a microHAM
micro2R (u2R) for the first time with Win-Test.  I have used an MK2R+ for
years at home.

As reported here<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2010-May/079576.html>
(see
comm. logs) and
here<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2011-May/081119.html>,
and by many others, unacceptable delay problems are immediately noticed when
trying to send CW messages via the built-in WinKey.  E.g., press F4, the
callsign would be sent immediately.  Press F4 quickly again, and the
callsign would *not* be sent immediately.  Others have reported similar
issues with DVK messages, but I did not try this.

This was once explained in this reflector as a failure of the microHAM box
or WinKey to properly echo back a "PTT event" to the program (see this
post<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2008-October/076563.html>by
F5MZN).  This may be because Win-Test sends one ASCII CW character at
time to the WinKey, unlike N1MM Software.  I understand from K5RC that
Writelog has a similar CW delay issue when using the u2R.  The 1 or 2 second
delays are apparently caused by a "wait state" timeout in the contest
software.

I do not know if the bug is in the Router or Winkey or Win-Test or a
combination of the way the three are working together.  This problem *cannot
* be solved by configuration changes in the Router software alone.

I was using:

WT 4.7 (nothing in the 4.8 Release notes related to microHAM)
Router 7.7.1 (attempting to Update Router via the menu reported "You are
already using the latest available")

I have considerable experience configuring my MK2R+ at home, so it was not a
failure to properly configure the box.  I had all the generate PTT options
set, PTT lead and TAIL delays set to 0 or 10ms at most, in both Router and
Win-Test.  I also tried many different combinations of these settings.

The only way I could make CW message timing work acceptably with the u2R was
to bypass the WinKey completely, except for hand keying, and select COM port
CW keying only, with Classic Auto Control on the SO2R tab.  I also used the
SO2R tab to select Router virtual COM port DTR and RTS pins for all
headphone and TX focus switching, instead of the microHAM Control Protocol
(then in Win-Test SETUP, you must deselect the microHAM control port and
define enough "Other Interface" DTR/RTS pins for RX Focus, TX Focus, and
Stereo).  That fixed *almost* everything.

The other major problem I had, unique to the u2R, was that it *insisted* on
controlling all the headphone switching for me, based on the status of the
radio, rather than letting the contest software be in control of the
headphones.  The settings defined on the Router's Audio Tab always override
the software, *unless* the software selects "Stereo" mode.  For all other
modes (e.g. both ears on Rig A or Rig B), using the paddles or sending a CW
message, or even just closing the PTT line on the radio forced the headphone
audio into a mode that was *not* requested by the program.  There was no way
to disable this. The "Disable Audio Switching on Radio" boxes in the
Router's Audio Tab don't have anything to do with headphone switching, so
they don't help at all, unfortunately.

I finally fixed most of that problem by *disconnecting* the KEY OUT jack of
the radio from the u2R.  Then the u2R could not know when a radio was
transmitting, so Win-Test could finally be in control of the headphone audio
(except when sending CW manually via paddles with the WinKey, when the u2R
settings took over again).

In sum, multiple changes to Win-Test, microHAM Router, and perhaps the
WinKey may be required before you can use the WinKey in the u2R with
Win-Test using a "normal" configuration.  In the mean time, try the
workaround suggested above.

bcc: OM7ZZ, W4TV, K1EL, F5MZN