[WT-support] Future implementa​tion of SO2V & PSK Support ??

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Dec 16 23:46:06 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Jim Balls <makidoja at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm a recent new user of Win-Test after many years of using N1MM.

So have you now mostly abandoned N1MM?  If so, why?  Or are you still using
N1MM most of the time?

So what is the likely hood of Wintest supporting SO2V and PSK for the
> "Small" contests station in the future.

I am not a Win-Test developer, but I would say that the chances of PSK
contest support being added to Win-Test via MMVARI are really very low, due
to the complexity of the programming task, and the very limited demand at
this time.

See

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2007-May/073720.html
http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2009-January/077008.html

for prior discussion re. PSK support (some comments from over 4 years ago).

As for SO2V support, there is some demand for that feature, but note that
it is impossible to support in some radios such as Icom,  which provide
little information about the status of VFO B.  Note also that almost all
transceivers can't hear a thing on VFO B while you are transmitting on VFO
A, so you're better off putting a second radio on the same band with a
well-separated antenna or band-stop filter.  Then you can use using Ctrl-S
(Radio Swap) as needed.

Please note that Win-Test has a feature to load spots into VFO B
(Alt-Double-Click in band map).  Try it.

I agree that it would be nice if you could use the secondary radio window
and a separate bandmap to track VFO B, but development of such major
enhancements to Win-Test seems to have ceased due to lack of time available
to the two main developers, so until new developers are given access to the
source code, I don't expect any such features to be implemented any time
soon.

I'm just grateful that the busy Win-Test developers have any time at all to
fix major bugs.  And I am also glad that Win-Test is a very stable and
reliable program that could be made a lot less stable and reliable if too
many enhancements are added too quickly.