[WT-support] using LPT1 band data info on a USB to parallel adapter

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jun 22 07:52:10 CEST 2018

Hi Frank,

Some may not realize that Win-Test supports using Pin 4 (DTR) and Pin 7
(RTS) of any serial port (or quality USB-to-Serial adapter) for many of the
functions supported on the LPT port, including:

CW keying (like LPT pin 17)
PTT keying (like LPT pin 16)
Active Radio (like LPT pin 14)
Headphones Control (like LPT pin 4)
Stereo RX Audio (like LPT pin 5 or 9)

With FTDI USB-to-Serial adapters from Edgeport and GearMo supporting up to
four serial ports on a single USB cable, an LPT port isn't as essential as
it once was.  Perhaps some day F6FVY will add the missing BCD Band Data and
legacy DVK control pins as options for the RTS and DTR pins, making it
possible (with enough serial ports) to support those functions as well.

For now, microHAM's MK2R/MK2R/micro2R can support "Classic Auto Control" on
either LPT pins or virtual COM port pins (or via microHAM control protocol,
but I've had better results using Classic Auto Control with Win-Test)).

Unlike the LPT port, a serial port can be marked *Active with* "Radio 1",
"Radio 2", or "Both Radios".  So, with two serial ports and two keying
circuits, you don't need a CW switch connected to Pin 14 of an LPT port.
You can simply set:

COMx: Other Interface,  DTR = CW, Active with:  Radio 1
COMy: Other Interface,  DTR = CW, Active with:  Radio 2

Then Win-Test automatically keys the correct radio.

With several of the newest radios, you don't even need a keying circuit or
USB-to-Serial adapters, since the radio's USB virtual serial port can be
configured to support CW keying and PTT on the virtual DTR and RTS pins,
which is completely compatible with Win-Test.  You can have rig control and
CW/PTT all on the same serial port.

Win-Test's CW timing on serial ports or USB-to-Serial adapters seems to be
just as good as the CW timing on the LPT port, as long as you avoid
Prolific USB-to-Serial adapters.