[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Aug 26 03:21:24 CEST 2018

Bob,

Thanks for that...

On 08/25/18 19:59 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:

>> I'm considering purchasing an Interface Genius, but haven't figured
>> out yet whether it is easily configured in Win-Test. Any comments
>> appreciated.

> The short answer is yes. The Interface Genius manual
> <http://www.4o3a.com/wp-content/uploads/filebase/interface_genius/documentation/IGM_Manual_1_2_4.pdf>
> says:
>
> OTRSP Port is the Open To Radio Switching Protocol. It is designed to
> be used with logging software such as WinTest, N1MM, DXLog and
> others. Select an arbitrary COM Port number to create the virtual
> port.
>
> So once you define which virtual COM port is the *OTRSP PORT* port,
> in Win-Test Interface Configuration you set that port to *OTRSP
> Compatible Device* then let Win-Test take care of the TX Focus and RX
> Focus switching (select SO2R Profile *OTRSP* in the box).  Similarly,
> you define the WinKey serial port.

Good, that clears up up my fogginess on OTRSP. To be honest, I'm not up
to SO2R speed yet, but I want any hardware upgrades I do to be SO2R
compliant.

> *SSB AND AUDIO* The IG-M has two separate hardware audio codes built
> in, making it very powerful.

> I guess they meant two separate AUDIO CODECs (USB sound cards)?

Yes, I took that to mean that you can use separate input & output devices.

> And you also seem to need a second box (an "SO2R Extender") plus a
> 15-pin cable if you want to do SO2R.  How much does all that cost?

Interface Genius: $500
SO2R Extender: $200
15-pin cable: cheap
Radio Cable: (might be included in the price, waiting for an answer on that)

> You don't really need a WinKey to send SO2R CW with Win-Test.  In
> fact, I think Win-Test works better without one (unexpected speed
> changes have always been a problem when using a WinKey with
> Win-Test).  The IG claims to support independent WinKey speed on each
> radio, a nice feature, but I don't think Win-Test supports that.  I
> don't even know how compatible the WinKey V3.0 chip in the IG is with
> the WinKey V1 support that Win-Test mostly supports.

I love having my paddle speed always synced with my logger software
speed. Winkey seems to be the only way to accomplish that currently. So
far my Winkey USB has been working flawlessly with Win-Test. Com port
keying also is amazingly good with Win-Test - considering it's W10 OS -
but I want my paddle speed synced.

-Steve K8LX