[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Aug 26 01:59:04 CEST 2018

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 3:06 PM, Steve Maki <lists at oakcom.org> wrote:

> I'm considering purchasing an Interface Genius, but haven't figured out
> yet whether it is easily configured in Win-Test. Any comments appreciated.

The short answer is yes.  The Interface Genius manual
<http://www.4o3a.com/wp-content/uploads/filebase/interface_genius/documentation/IGM_Manual_1_2_4.pdf>
says:

OTRSP Port is the Open To Radio Switching Protocol. It is designed to be
used with logging software such as WinTest,
N1MM, DXLog and others. Select an arbitrary COM Port number to create the
virtual port.

So once you define which virtual COM port is the *OTRSP PORT* port, in
Win-Test Interface Configuration you set that port to *OTRSP Compatible
Device* then let Win-Test take care of the TX Focus and RX Focus switching
(select SO2R Profile *OTRSP* in the box).  Similarly, you define the WinKey
serial port.

However, I would like to know if anyone on this list is already using it,
and how well it works.  It looks like a competitor to the microHAM MK2R+,
which seems more flexible in some areas.  For example, in the MK2R+ you can
control RX and TX focus and Stereo ON/OFF by toggling COM port pins or LPT
port pins, which has always been faster and more reliable for me with
Win-Test than trying to use microHAM control protocol (SO2R software
commands).  Maybe the OTRSP protocol works better with Win-Test, but I've
never used it.

Note that the Interface Genius manual, seems to have some obvious errors
like this:

*FSK CONNECTORS*
For connecting foot switches for radio A and B

?

*SSB AND AUDIO*
The IG-M has two separate hardware audio codes built in, making it very
powerful.

?

I guess they meant two separate AUDIO CODECs (USB sound cards)?

And you also seem to need a second box (an "SO2R Extender") plus a 15-pin
cable if you want to do SO2R.  How much does all that cost?  The 4O3A price
list <http://www.4o3a.com/products/price-list/> doesn't say.

Finally, the manual says:

Currently supported radios are:
- FTDX3000, FTDX5000, FTDX900, FT2000
- IC-7000
- FT-1000MP
- ELECRAFT K3
- IC-775
- IC-7800

But they also mention Flex, so I guess they support that as well.

Bigger question is, what is the main problem you're trying to solve?  How
to wire things for SO2R?  CW, SSB, and RTTY?  Multi-Single?  What
transceivers do you have?   Many have sound cards built in, plus CW and FSK
keying already.  What else do you need to connect?  And how much does the
IG + SO2R Extender cost compared to a microHAM MK2R+ with cables?  Does the
IG include any cables?

You don't really need a WinKey to send SO2R CW with Win-Test.  In fact, I
think Win-Test works better without one (unexpected speed changes have
always been a problem when using a WinKey with Win-Test).  The IG claims to
support independent WinKey speed on each radio, a nice feature, but I don't
think Win-Test supports that.  I don't even know how compatible the WinKey
V3.0 chip in the IG is with the WinKey V1 support that Win-Test mostly
supports.

My personal preference is to use a paddle on each radio with the internal
keyer for hand sending, and use LPT or COM port direct keying for CW
sending from Win-Test, no WinKey.  But, that requires a hardware lockout
circuit to prevent both rigs from transmitting at the same time.  I
designed this one for the K3:  https://bit.ly/K3lockout and included it
inside my Y-BOX <https://bit.ly/Y-BOX> product.