[WT-support] Band Data - switching bands

Alexander Kurpiers a.kurpiers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:14:55 CET 2017

Hello,

I would like to tightly couple our set of microwave transverters to the
band setting in Win-Test. The transverters (2320/3400/5760MHz) are all
connected to the same 146MHz radio (IC7400). Background: with several
transverters on same TRX you accidentally log a QSO on the wrong
microwave band... and - yes - sometimes you can be pretty busy even on
microwave...

The preferred way would be to do the band switching on the transverter
side and somehow let Win-Test know which band is selected, but so far I
have no idea how this could be done. The radio frequency does not help
(it is 146MHz in all three cases). I know how to inject keyboard codes
into Win-Test using AutoHotkey, but even then I would not know how to
switch to a specific band from the keyboard either (you can enter the
frequency in the call sign field, but to do that "automatically", you
would have to clear this field first, and I do not dare to send the
"F11", because some OP may have forgotten to press "enter" on the
previous QSO before switching to another band...).

Is there some LUA magic?

The alternative is the band data available on the parallel port
http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Interfaces#Band_Data
But first: as modern PCs do not have parallel ports anymore, it is not
clear if the USB-LPT ports would work and second: bands >432MHz are not
signalled (although the change in the software would probably be easy
enough). But given the old interface, not clear if a good way to do it...

Last option: Win-Test sends out UDP broadcasts with the current
frequency. I know that there is a solution based on Raspberry Pi to
monitor and switch the transverters accordingly.
Myself, I was thinking of using an old AVR-NET-IO
(http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MTQ5OTgxOTk-/Bauelemente_Bauteile/Bausaetze_Module/Bausaetze/Bausatz_AVR_NET_IO.html)
- because I don't know what to do with it anyway ;-)

73' Alexander DL8AAU (DR9A)