[WT-support] Fresh Install Wintest Fails

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 20 02:55:35 CEST 2016

Stewart,

If you don't mind, I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.  Are you
using a KEYSPAN USA-19HS (https://www.tripplite.com/
keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS/) or something else?  That
device uses a TI chipset.

I really need to know if the KEYSPAN adapter is supported on Windows 10
64-bit.  The Keyspan web site says yes, but I see no specific device
drivers for Windows 10, which means the support is supposed to be built-in
to Windows 10, and no  driver installation should be required.  Did you
install a driver or did Windows find one?  Have you ever connected *any*
other type of USB-to-Serial adapter (FTDI or Prolific) to this PC?  If so,
those drivers could be interfering with the Keyspan driver due to a
conflict.  Multiple drivers could be trying to use the same COM port number
even when those devices are not connected.  I've fixed problems like this
in the past by removing all traces of Prolific USB-to-Serial device drivers.

Please do the following to remove unnecessary device drivers, it won't take
long:

   1. Connect the USB-to-Serial adapter to the PC (you can leave the K3 OFF)
   2. Set the Windows environment variable *devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices*
   to *1*.  Here's how:
      1. From a Windows command prompt, run *sysdm.cpl* (a shortcut to
      System Properties)
      2. Click the *Advanced *tab
      3. Click  *Environment Variables*
      4. Under *System Variables* click *New...*
      5. Set Variable name to: *devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices*
      6. Set Variable value to:  *1*
      7. Click *OK* twice to close the dialogs
      8. Click *Apply* and *OK*
   3. Run *devmgmt.msc* (a shorcut to the Windows Device Manager)
   4. From the Device Manager menu, select *View | Show hidden devices*
   5. Expand the *Ports* section
   6. You may see some grayed-out devices that you are no longer using,
   perhaps some using the same serial port as the KEYSPAN
   7. Right click on unused devices and click Uninstall.  Leave the KEYSPAN
   as is, unless it is the only serial port listed, in which case you should
   delete it too.
   8. If you're about to remove the last device of a particular type
   (Prolific, FTDI, etc.) that shares a driver, you may also check the
box *Delete
   the driver software for this device*, especially for Prolific
   9. Click *OK*
   10. Repeat for all unused serial ports, especially those using the same
   COM port number as the KeySpan USB Serial Port
   11. Shutdown and Restart the Windows computer (cold boot), and the
   USB-to-Serial adapter should talk to the K3 just fine.  If not, the device
   driver is probably to blame, not Win-Test, and you should get a different
   type of USB-to-Serial adapter such as the GearMo, FTDI, or Edgeport.