[WT-support] Proposal: Allow only numeric characters in RST fields

Bernhard Buettner dl6rai at darc.de
Sat Dec 31 15:20:16 CET 2016

Hello WT Users,

I would like to propose the following a little enhancement for Win-Test
DXpedition mode.

Background: I have just finished my P4/DL6RAI activity of the last
weeks. I have to say that my preferred mode of operation on the low
bands is keying the Bencher BY-1 with the right hand and logging QSOs
with the left hand. This is not the typical high-speed operation at 200
per hour but rather produces some 60-80 QSOs per hour.

On the low bands there is a tendency to exchange RSTs different from
"599" when signals are really low. So I am constantly toggling between
the callsign field and the RST fields using TAB to properly log what was
sent and received. OK, call me an oldtimer.

About every 10th time, I get carried away and forget to press Enter when
a QSO is finished. I then start entering the next call in the RST field
(sent or received field), wherever the cursor just happens to be. When I
then discover the problem, I tend to frantically fix the situation,
singlehandedly, by deleting the characters in the RST fields while
transmitting with my right hand - but then need to enter "599" "579" or
whatever to allow logging the previous QSO, then press Enter and THEN
finally I am able to log the next call.

Proposal: Block all characters except figures in the RST fields (sent
and received). This will at least prevent the user from entering
callsign fragments in the RST field and consequently blocking the
logging of the previous QSO.

I can not think of any negative side effects and would encourage
everybody to comment on my proposal.

73 Ben, P4/DL6RAI
--
Bernhard Büttner
dl6rai at darc.de
Obere Dorfstrasse 21, 86556 Stockensau, Germany
+49 (0) 8257 9276757