[WT-support] Proposal: Allow only numeric characters in RST fields

F5HRY f5hry at wanadoo.fr
Sat Dec 31 15:54:42 CET 2016

Hello Ben,

Well, it happens from time to time, when things are going really wrong ...

My use of Win-Test probably never requires to press something else than
space bar.

But, when I begin to mix up what I hear and I type, even in the "last"
field when some
"callsign fragments" appear there,  my solution is definitly F11 !

No time to think about how I can fix that mess, I just wash everything
and try to remember
what was the callsign heard. INSERT (in CW) will do the rest if I need
to (re)initialize the QSO.

Enjoy P4, freezing here !

73,

Hervé F5HRY

Le 31/12/2016 à 15:20, Bernhard Buettner a écrit :
> Hello WT Users,
>
> I would like to propose the following a little enhancement for
> Win-Test DXpedition mode.
>
> Background: I have just finished my P4/DL6RAI activity of the last
> weeks. I have to say that my preferred mode of operation on the low
> bands is keying the Bencher BY-1 with the right hand and logging QSOs
> with the left hand. This is not the typical high-speed operation at
> 200 per hour but rather produces some 60-80 QSOs per hour.
>
> On the low bands there is a tendency to exchange RSTs different from
> "599" when signals are really low. So I am constantly toggling between
> the callsign field and the RST fields using TAB to properly log what
> was sent and received. OK, call me an oldtimer.
>
> About every 10th time, I get carried away and forget to press Enter
> when a QSO is finished. I then start entering the next call in the RST
> field (sent or received field), wherever the cursor just happens to
> be. When I then discover the problem, I tend to frantically fix the
> situation, singlehandedly, by deleting the characters in the RST
> fields while transmitting with my right hand - but then need to enter
> "599" "579" or whatever to allow logging the previous QSO, then press
> Enter and THEN finally I am able to log the next call.
>
> Proposal: Block all characters except figures in the RST fields (sent
> and received). This will at least prevent the user from entering
> callsign fragments in the RST field and consequently blocking the
> logging of the previous QSO.
>
> I can not think of any negative side effects and would encourage
> everybody to comment on my proposal.
>
> 73 Ben, P4/DL6RAI

---