[WT-support] Update CTY file and LU4AA/F - IARU HF Championship

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 8 20:08:02 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Joe - OZ0J <contest at oz0j.dk> wrote:

> 1) I had on my laptop Win-Test v 4.16. When I choose Options-> Data files
> ->
> Country Files the CTY files are from 2013. I have tried to choose all 3 CTY
> files one by one and then hit download. The files are downloaded but NOT
> saved in the ProgramData\Win-Test\countryFiles folder.

If this is Windows 7 or later, perhaps you forgot to mark Win-Test with the
"Run as Administrator" property.  Right click on the Win-Test shortcut,
select Properties, Compatibility, set Privilege Level at the bottom to "Run
this program as an administrator" and click Apply and OK.  That alone may
fix the problem, otherwise, continue.

Then I updated Win-Test to v 4.17 and still have the same problem.

See this recent post
<http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2015-July/084397.html> for
information about an easier way to update all the files (MASTER, CTY,
etc.).  It won't be easier the first time, because some software
installation is required, but after that it will be much easier to update
these files.

> Where do the downloaded CTY file saved when it is not in the
> ProgramData\Win-Test\countryFiles folder?

For security reasons, Windows 7 and above prevents users and programs from
downloading files directly into the C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files
(x86)\ *unless* they have Administrator rights and/or UAC (User Access
Control) is turned off.  See this Microsoft site
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7>
for more information about how to disable UAC.  I guess the same rules may
apply to C:\ProgramData.

The files may be silently downloaded to an obscure place, perhaps
%appdata%\Win-Test\countryFiles.  Win-Test probably doesn't look there.
Try File | Explore | /countryFiles directory from the Win-Test menu, but it
probably only shows C:\ProgramData.

So far I have solved the problem by downloaded the cty_wt_mod.dat and the
> cty_wt.dat manually from http://www.country-files.com/contest/win-test/
> and
> placed them in the correct folder. But I would like to have the
> automatically update in stead :-)

   1. Uninstall Win-Test
   2. Download wt-4.17.0.exe
   <http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin/wt-4.17.0.exe>
   3. Right click on on the installer and select "Run as Administrator"
   4. After the installation completes, right enable WT to run as
   administrator as explained above
   5. Try the CTYFILE Win-Test command or the CTYFILES batch file described
   in my recent post

I have earlier today updated Win-Test at a friend without problems.

Probably your friend was running from an Administrator ID or had already
set Win-Test to "Run as Administrator."

2) When I log the HQ station LU4AA/F Win-Test tells me that it is in France
> (!!) The ITU file gives RCA but it is still France as DXCC.

There is really no reason to worry about that.  All HQ stations count 1
point, regardless of country.

You can ask AD1C to add =LU4AA/F to cty_wt_mod.dat, but he may refuse
without more information.  These bizarre LU callsigns do not comply with
ITU conventions, right?  What to the letters stand for anyway?  Where are
they located?  Win-Test doesn't distinguish F/LU4AA from LU4AA/F, and I
don't think it's worth the trouble to write special code to handle this
one-time situation.

> Jim, AD1C do you come with an update to the CTY file? This call could also
> be a problem for other logging programs e.g. DX4WIN when importing the QSOs
> after the contest.

Please encourage LU4AA/F to use something else, like LU4AA/3 or whatever is
valid.