[WT-support] WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part I

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jan 14 20:01:30 CET 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M <kq2m at kq2m.com> wrote:

> So then I do not need to manually assign an IP address through WinTest to
> each computer?

If both computers are already able to browse the Internet, then they
already have IP addresses (using Windows DHCP is the easiest way to do
this).  These will work fine in a Win-Test local network in most cases.
 Yes there are places in the documentation that encourage the use of fixed
IP addresses, but I no longer recommend doing that since the disadvantages
far outweigh the advantages in my opinion.

But you *do* have to set the broadcast address to the same value in the
Win-Test Interfaces Configuration screen (SETUP [Enter]) on both computers.
 Check "Enable Ethernet network" and click the "By Default" button next to
broadcast address and it should set it to something like 192.168.0.255
automatically.  Do not try to use arbitrary values here; just click the "By
Default" button.

Note:  some Comcast routers assign IP addresses like 10.0.0.1, and the "By
Default" button doesn't assign a proper broadcast address for these.  See Task
#337 <http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=337> for more
info.