[WT-support] WT-support] CORRECTING: Win-test newbie questions Part I

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Tue Jan 14 15:04:09 CET 2014

Some comments interspersed below in Red.... (previous info truncated to
fit the 20kb max posting size)
  In sum, you control the DX Doubler via the LPT (on one computer).  See

  http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2011-February/080824.html

  No, the DX Doubler has a single parallel port input; that is the one and only connection to a computer.  See diagram on Page 4 of the DX Doubler Manual (underlined text is a hyperlink, click to open manual).  Win-Test SO2R support, like the DX Doubler, is designed for a single computer, not two networked computers.  There is no software lockout in Win-Test between two networked computers.  The DX Doubler doesn't provide a lockout system when you are using two computers.

I had been told by other well-known ops that using Win Test software with 2 computers would provide a lockout system.  It is disappointing to learn that this was not correct.

But if you use a single computer with two serial ports, and a parallel port (printer port) connected to a DX Doubler for all TX / RX switching, then Win-Test will ensure that you only transmit on one at a time, because it can only key one radio at a time.

Some people do use two networked computers with Win-Test, but they have to build some type of hardware lockout circuit that provides "First One Wins" or "Last one Wins" logic.  I don't have any references for that, but maybe someone else does.

Yes, I would be very interested in this.

 You are suggesting that I use connect the computer directly to the radio (like with CT) rather
  than directly to the Band Decoders?

The DX Doubler supports band data on LPT only for those who have very old radios without any serial ports.
Yes you connect the RS-232 (or "serial") cable between the computer and the radio.  This has a DE-9 (9-pin female) on each end.  But you also connect the Top Ten cable between the radio and the Top Ten Band Decoder.  This has a DIN plug on the radio side and a 25-pin connector for J1 input on the Top Ten band decoder.  This way you can change bands on the radio even when the computer is off, and everything will switch automatically.

Thank you. I like having that switching capability with the computer off!  It would also keep you on the air while you are
rebooting a computer!

  I assume that if I want paddle support (that is not controlled by the DX doubler/Wintest), then I can still use a Y-adpater at the key jack with one of the inputs being the paddle and the other being the DX doubler.  Correct?
No.  First, the paddle input on the back of the DX Doubler just provides a convenient connection to the LPT pins used by CT for paddle input.  Since Win-Test has no support for this, the paddle input to the DX Doubler cannot be used with Win-Test.

Roger.

The simplest solution is to use a single external keyer like a LogiKey.  Plug your paddles into the keyer.  Plug the output of the keyer into the "Key In" jack on the back of the DX Doubler.  Now manual keyer keying (paddles) and Win-Test CW keying (which comes in via the LPT line) will be wired in parallel to the selected radio's CW input.  However, if you try to send CW on the paddle keyer at the same time that Win-Test is sending, you will probably get mixed CW output (gibberish).

Yes, that is what I would expect.  But I should not be keying both at the same time anyway.

  The only way to have Win-Test keying interrupted by paddles is to use a WinKey (which requires yet another serial port or USB port) instead of keying via LPT pins.

Thank you for mentioning that.  I do like the idea of an immediate cutoff.

By the way, you don't need the W1WEF keying circuit any more, as the equivalent keying circuit is built-in to the DX Doubler.

I didn’t realize that.  Thanks!

  Most radios, including the FT-1000MP do not have an IP addresses.   They are assigned to a serial port like COM1, COM2, etc.

    Since I have all devices connected to a 24 port switch connected to a LinkSys router, do I still need to manually set this?

  Just a simple straight serial cable with DB-9 female connectors on both ends connected between your Windows XP machine and your FT-1000MP.  If you already have it working with CT, you don't need to change any wiring to make it work with Win-Test.

So then I do not need to manually assign an IP address through WinTest to each computer?

Please refer to this image to see the difference between USB-A ports an Ethernet RJ-45 ports (top row).  I assume your "24 port switch" has only RJ-45 ports.  Otherwise, I don't understand what it is.

http://miotd.com/images/20130722.jpg

I actually do know the difference but I botched up what I wrote, and clearly gave the impression that I did not.  :-(
That is a very helpful and interesting .jpg with all the connector types neatly laid out.  Thank you for providing it!

73
Bob KQ2M