[WT-support] Mic/Headset not muting

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 19 05:37:45 CEST 2014

Bob,

It's usually a good idea to define a PTT port whenever you select Voice
Keyer: Enable Sound Card in Win-Test Interfaces Configuration. Otherwise,
every beep sound made by Windows could key the transmitter.  So could stray
RF or noise in the audio lines.

In the Windows Recording Control, is Microphone selected as the recording
device, or Line In?  Set it to Mic.  (Open Volume Control, Options,
Properties, Recording, check all boxes, click OK, check "Select" under the
Microphone slider).

Please refer to this post for tips on how to get to that control:

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2007-October/074736.html

You should also be able to keep the Windows Master Volume window visible
while you're running Win-Test, and you should see the "Mute" checkbox under
the "Microphone" slider change every time you play a voice message by
pressing F1.  If it is doing that, and you have recorded a message via
Shift+F1, then Win-Test is working properly with your sound card, and the
mic. should be muted.

However, if somehow the mic. is connected to Line In instead of Mic In, it
may not.  What model of PC do you have and what type of sound card is
displayed by Win-Test under "Voice Keyer"?

As long as you're really running Windows XP, nothing later, using the sound
card as a voice keyer should work fine, including mic. muting when playing
a message, though updating the device driver for your sound card may be
required if it is not working.

I ask because you said you have a "relatively new XP system", which is
surprising because no new systems have been shipped with Windows XP for
many years.