[WT-support] Work around for bug in Win-test

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Oct 15 19:45:43 CEST 2013

Terry,

Thanks for providing the additional details.  Using OPON and recording one
set of messages per operator should work well.

Windows 7 sound cards are usually unusable because of unacceptable latency
introduced into the mic. monitor circuit due to digitization delays.  So if
you're on a Windows 7 machine and you can plug a mic. *and* headphones into
the same sound card and listen to your own mic. audio without any audio
delays at all, I would like to know exactly what type of sound card and
what Windows device settings you are using, because I have never seen a
Windows 7 system where that worked (Windows XP is not a problem).

If you install a KDVR3 voice keyer module into the K3s, you can use my K3
scripts <http://bit.ly/wtscripts> (K3scripts.zip) to run that DVK from
Win-test, bypassing the Windows sound cards completely.  But you can only
record two banks of voice messages, so recording one CQ per operator would
be somewhat less practical.

The problem you describe is rarely reported because there are only a few
mixed mode contests where the multioperator cateogry is popular (IARU, ARRL
10, what else?)