[WT-support] Loosing data

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Oct 9 03:36:00 CEST 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Ulf Schneider <uschneid at posteo.de> wrote:

> If you see anything that says "Prolific", throw out that USB-to-Serial
>> adapter, because it will cause you no end of headaches.
>>

> This statement is complete nonesense.

My post was specifically addressed to Mark (W4SVO), or anyone else who has
a "Prolific" USB-to-Serial adapter that isn't working well.

Chances are his device is a clone, so I stand by my recommendation that he
should throw it out and replace it with an FTDI for the best chance of
success, which is essentially what is recommended here:

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide

and on many other web sites.  I also understand that the Prolific drivers
do not work well on 64-bit Windows systems, though I don't know if that's
the same issue (clone vs. genuine hardware), or a real problem with the
64-bit Prolific device drivers.

I don't know how to buy a Prolific USB-to-Serial adapter that is guaranteed
to be "genuine" and guaranteed to work well with Win-Test on all versions
of Windows.  There seem to be more fakes than real ones.  I have probably
wasted over 100 hours of my time trying to help dozens of people get
something labeled "Prolific" to work reliably.  Blame the cloners if you
like, but that is what is behind my statements.

As for your issue with CW timing on FTDI chips, it could have been caused
by other issues, such as NOSOUND not specified in Win-Test, or conflicts
between device drivers, RFI, or even a Windows print spooler running in the
background.  I can't find a single complaint about CW timing in the
Win-Test archives from anyone using FTDI, as long as they use NOSOUND.  Can
you?