[WT-support] Loosing data

Ulf Schneider uschneid at posteo.de
Tue Oct 8 07:00:49 CEST 2013

Hello Bob.

Am 08.10.2013 05:52 schrieb Bob Wilson, N6TV:
> If you see anything that says "Prolific", throw out that
> USB-to-Serial
> adapter, because it will cause you no end of headaches.

This statement is complete nonesense. If you use original Prolific
adapters, there is no need to throw them out.

If you see anything that says "Prolific", you *may* have problems,
because you have an USB-to-Serial adapter with a counterfeit Prolific
USB chip. These have been sold a lot over years. Prolific has updated
their drivers a while ago, which are distributed by Windows Update
automatically. With that driver the counterfeit chips simply stop
working a few seconds after they have been initialized, e.g. thru
Win-Test. I ran into the very same problem some time ago with a cheap
USB-to-Serial adapter. With an original Prolific adapter it works
perfect and much better with these ever so beloved FTDI chips, which
caused headaches for me because of timing issues in CW.

Simply buy your adapters in trustworthy shops.

73
Ulf DK5TX