[WT-support] wkusb lite and ptt

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu May 2 19:12:55 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Jan Kuhne <jan.urbig at s1998.tu-chemnitz.de>wrote:

> As soon as I define the serial port for the wkusb, PTT via the FT232 stops
> working, even if i define the 2nd output of the wkusb to be a sidetone
> signal.

What happens if you define the second output of the WinKey to be a PTT
signal?

   1. In the Win-Test logging window, WKSETUP [Enter]
   2. Second output (pin 5):  PTT
   3. OK

But, this will probably make no difference if you are using a WinKey 2
chip, because the documentation says:  "In WK2, PTT is always enabled and
there is no reason to turn it off since it is a separate output now. The
PTT enable bit is not used and is ignored by WK2."

Quickly tried SSB mode, that one works fine, so PTT is working there as
> expected, regardless winkey  is enabled  or not. Is that a bug?

It is not a bug.  When Win-Test is configured to use a WinKey for CW, all
CW PTT timing is delegated to the WinKey PTT output.  Other PTT outputs are
ignored.  That's because only the WinKey knows when the CW is starting and
stopping.  So is up to the WinKey to decide when to close the PTT output,
based on the timing defined in the "PTT Tail" settings in the WKSETUP
dialog.

When you are using other modes like SSB, the PTT output of the WinKey is
not used.

By the way, try using the FT232 USB-to-Serial adapter and a simple CW
keying circuit for *both* CW and PTT, instead of the WinKey. The timing
with Win-Test should be fine.

Which radios are you using?  If you are using an Elecraft K3 or FlexRadio,
the "CW/PTT keying circuit" is built right in to the radio.

Consider selling the WKUSB LITE since you don't need it at all with
Win-Test.  You could connect a paddle directly to each radio (two paddles,
one per radio), and use the internal keyer of the radio for manual sending.
 This gives you more flexibility for SO2R too, since Win-Test doesn't
immediately move the WinKey paddles to the second radio when you press
"CapsLock" or "Shift," and Win-Test doesn't define independent CW speed per
radio.

On the other hand, you may need to build a lockout circuit since Win-Test
cannot prevent simultaneous transmission by both radios when you are using
a paddle to each.