[WT-support] how to increase the WT network reliability?

Ulf Schneider uschneid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 21:45:14 CEST 2013

Hi Tonno,

Am 04.04.2013 20:46 schrieb Tõnno Vähk:
> My question is - can anyone say or recommend:
>
> Is it better to use cable rather than WIFI?

It *IS* definitely better to use cable rather than WIFI.

Win-Test communication between different computers over IP networks is
based on the UDP protocol. The usage of UDP makes it really easy to
setup up a network, but at the expense of data integrity. With UPD you
have no guarantee of delivery, because it is unidirectional. The packets
with the information are sent out, but no confirmation is required. So
if there is a transmission error, the packet won't be re-send.

In cable networks this isn't really a problem, because packets are
almost never dropped, unless you have really buggy components like bad
cables or a poor quality ethernet switch.

In WIFI networks this is different. In a normal urban area, a lot of
packets get lost (due to numerous interfering WIFI networks) and have to
be re-transmit. But being a simple protocol without handshake or
confirmation, UDP packets are just dropped. So, where is the QSO
information? Gone! This can of course happen in non-urban areas as well,
because .. well, you know. All the RF, "some" watts around, bad WIFI
reception etc.

> Is it better not to mix two?

It is definitely better to use just a cable network.

> Is it better to use determined IP instead of automatic? Does it make any
> difference?

I don't think this has any influence, unless two computers lose their
network connection at the same time and IP addresses are mixed up by the
DHCP server (The one who says "You! You get *this* IP address!")

> Any other ideas how to make the network more reliable and save the trouble
> of frequent reloads and restarts?`

Use high quality Cat.7 ethernet components (patch cables, connectors).
Use high quality ethernet switches.
Do not use WIFI.*

73
Ulf DK5TX

* It might work for many, so please do not send "Oh, here it works" messages