[WT-support] how to increase the WT network reliability?

Lup S. DJ7SW dj7sw at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 12:31:03 CEST 2013

Hello Folks!

as DK5TX said: use CAT7 components in the network, wherever you can get it.
All these components are better screened (up to 600 Mhz).
But beware the rf-intake from your own transmitters into the active network-components. Every wire in and out of your computers and switches have to be secured by toroid-core-screening.
If you have done this, put a loose loop-wire around your shack-walls and feed 100Watt on 14Mhz via a tuner into this loop. Look onto your pc and see what all will fail now. Mostly the power-supply and keyboard/mouse inputs need toroid-cores. Remember: when one core is not enough, use two ore more or better (more loss) cores. With the powerknob at your test-TX you can exactly determinate the power-point where the disaster begins.
Work as long as all your computer will withstand 100 Watts inside this closed loop. As a side effect you will have less noise in your nearby antennas. This all has to be done days before the contest begins, thus avoid the good friend, who will bring his PC or laptop minutes before contest starts

If the router is not reset by RF, it will normaly recognize the IP numbers
for several weeks. If you need WiFi, use 5GHz for the network, the reflections in the shack and in the house are better than on 2.4Ghz. There will be also no interfering with your 2.4 Ghz keyboards and mouses too.

I never use DHCP in Contest. I choose fixed IP numbers ending with the band,
the coputer has to handle. Put a list of the known IP-numbers on every computer in the network. Use an extra notebook with "wireshark" to find possible errors. If you have loaned coputers, check them all with several cleaner and trojan programms. Let them all run thru defragmet prozedures to avoid hard-disk erors.

Thanks to EU, you can sometimes buy in DL used siemens computers for as low as 70 Euros. The are equiped with all technical proceedings you can image and normaly the direct china imports never have.....So a fixed group of PCs in the contest-shack is superior!

Do all the above long before the contest starts, you really will have more time to qso in a contest hi hi!

55 es 73 de DJ7SW alias DL0KF

mailto:dj7sw at yahoo.com