[WT-support] CQ WW Win-Test Setup Checklist / Reminders

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 20 04:02:56 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM, <Georgek5kg at aol.com> wrote:

> **
> Is there a way to turn off the information window that pops up when the
> mouse hovers over a spot in the band map?

No.

> I find the window to be very annoying, as I tend to park my mouse over the
> band map which, of course, causes the window to pop up.

Why are you using the mouse?  Try pressing Ctrl+Up Arrow and Ctrl+Down
Arrow instead.  This instantly jumps from spot to spot, much faster than
using a mouse.

Are you using the "List" view of the band map?  Click the List tab at the
bottom.  Right click and note the useful sort options available, such as
sort mults at the top, sort by beam heading, sort most recent first, etc.
 Ctrl+Up/Down work well here too (unless you have an out-of-date version of
Win-Test).

  I don't find that I ever take the time to read what is in the window,
> however, it may be useful for some ops, but not for me.

If you prefer mouse hovering, use the Alt-A window (DX Announcements)
instead of the Band Map.  You can limit it to the current band if you
prefer.  This window has no pop-ups.

> I was using the VE7CC-1 Telnet cluster.  However, during the entire
> contest, it would disconnect every few minutes.  I would then have to
> reconnect it to keep my spots flowing. Can you suggest what might have been
> causing the disconnects?

First, make sure in WtDxTelnet that you to check the box:  Options |
DxCluster Properties ... | Try to restore connection automatically.

As for why a telnet connection can be dropped, there are many
possibilities, RFI on the line, poor Internet connection, poor WiFi
connection, WiFi interference, server timeouts after inactivity, server
dropping connections due to overload, etc.

Test the quality of your Internet connection using:
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php or similar.