[WT-support] Using COM port keying instead of Winkey (was CW keying from function keys)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 29 03:53:12 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

> The better way - if you're going to use PC generated keying which is
> strongly *DISCOURAGED* - is to configure the CW port in Router rather
> that the Winkey port.

Note:  though some contest software has trouble sending decent PC-generated
keying under Windows, Win-Test is *not* one of them.

> Configure Win-Test for PC generated CW and PTT on a port *other than* the
> one used for radio control.

So if I understand correctly, the microHAM CW Keyer box, like other
microHAM products, also includes a separate "legacy" keying circuit that
can be keyed ON/OFF by software, independent of the WinKey.  That means CW
and PTT is still getting to the radio via the KEY and PTT cables, not via
the serial port pins.

I guess that works, but then you have to connect two or three cables from
the microHAM CW Keyer to the radio, instead of just one, and you have to
configure two COM ports in Win-Test instead of just one.  If you're not
going to use the Winkey, you really *can* do all three things (PTT, KEY,
and rig control) on a single standard serial cable, with no external keying
circuit required (when you have a K3).  A good quality (FTDI) USB-to-Serial
adapter should also work, if you don't have a "real" serial port available.

The built-in keyer of the K3 works very smoothly with paddles.  It feels
more like "Logikey" timing to me than Curtis B.  As far as I can tell, none
of the Winkey chips support Logikey timing, just Iambic A, Iambic B,
Ultimatic, and "Bug" modes.  Logikey timing can be thought of as a more
"forgiving" form of Iambic B (aka Curtis B), which is why it is preferred
by many squeeze keyers.

OTOH, if you need special functions like "first dot lengthening" or fixed
keying compensation, the Winkey is the best way to go.