[WT-support] Using COM port keying instead of Winkey (was CW keying from function keys)

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue May 29 03:26:11 CEST 2012

>> From your QRZ.COM page, it looks like you are using an Elecraft K3,
> so no external keying circuit is required! Unlike any other radio on
> the market (of which I am aware), the K3 supports a built-in legacy
> contest software ON/OFF keying "circuit" via the same serial
> connector that you are already using to control the radio.

Except George is also using the microHAM CW Keyer ...

The better way - if you're going to use PC generated keying which is
strongly *DISCOURAGED* - is to configure the CW port in Router rather
that the Winkey port.  Configure Win-Test for PC generated CW and
PTT on a port *other than* the one used for radio control.

You can *still* plug your paddles into the CW Keyer if you want to
do so and have manual control (the knob) of speed and use a keypad
to access a completely separate set of memories for additional info
(comments, to friends, etc) ...

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV