[WT-support] Using COM port keying instead of Winkey (was CW keying from function keys)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue May 29 02:35:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM, <Georgek5kg at aol.com> wrote:

> **
>
> *I have not used COM or LPT port on/off keying, but I'm willing to give
> it a try once I figure out how to implement it.  I am looking in the
> documentation and I see the keying circuit, but how would I connect in a
> paddle?*

You connect the paddle to the radio, and use the internal keyer of the
radio.

>From your QRZ.COM page, it looks like you are using an Elecraft K3, so no
external keying circuit is required!  Unlike any other radio on the market
(of which I am aware), the K3 supports a built-in legacy contest software
ON/OFF keying "circuit" via the same serial connector that you are already
using to control the radio.

Just go into the SETUP dialog of Win-Test.  Next to the COM port settings
for the radio port, click on the [Configure...] button, then set:

DTR (pin 4) to CW
RTS (pin 7) to PTT

and click [OK].  Uncheck any WinKey port completely, and click [OK] again.

Finally, in the K3 menu set CONFIG: PTT-KEY to RTS-DTR.  Win-Test will now
send very well-timed ON/OFF CW and PTT via the K3 COM port pins.

To keep the keyer paddle speed in synch with the Win-Test CW speed, you can
use the "K3 LUA Scripts" that I wrote.  Just go to http://bit.ly/wtscripts,
download K3scripts.zip and follow the instructions in the file named
Readme_K3scripts.txt.  Whenever you change speeds with Win-Test, the K3
internal keyer (for your paddles), can be set to the same speed, or maybe 1
or 2 WPM slower, whichever you prefer.

** *With COM or LPT port keying can you use the ++ -- speed up/slow down
> commands which are a problem with the Microham CW Keyer. *

Yes, that still works fine, though if you want to get spotted more quickly
by the Reverse Beacon Network, you should remove all these CW speed changes
from your messages.  CW Skimmer decodes CW most easily when everything is
sent at the exact same speed.

 In a message dated 5/28/2012 7:22:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
n6tv at arrl.net writes:

Chances are all you had to do was type SETUP [Enter] [Enter] in Win-Test,
which re-initalizes all serial port connections, as this is much less
disruptive than exiting and restarting the program.

However, I have seen similar Winkey reliability issues in the past, so I no
longer use it.  I much prefer to use COM port or LPT port on/off keying
with Win-Test, plus the internal keyer of the radio.  Win-Test sends very
fine CW this way; external Winkey hardware is really not required.  Yes you
lose paddle interrupt of computer messages, but you get used to just
hitting the Escape key when you need to do that.