[WT-support] SO2R Scenarios

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jul 8 19:14:28 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Simon Schelkshorn <simon at schelkshorn.de>wrote:

> My setup:
> - Win-Test 4.9.1
> - Microham MK2R+
> - MK2R+ controlled via control protocol

Setting up Win-Test SO2R with an MK2R+ is a very complex task, but many
have done it successfully.  There are extensive documentation examples in
both the Win-Test Wiki and the microHAM web site, but they are somewhat
conflicting, as there are many different ways to do things.

If your computer has a real LPT port, I'd recommend using the MK2R+ in
Classic Auto Control mode via LPT pins.  If it doesn't, you can still
control the headphones and TX focus via virtual COM port pins instead of
the MK2R+ control protocol.  For me, using LPT or COM pins has been much
faster and much more reliable than using the serial control protocol,
because the first is done by a circuit, and the second is done via
interpreting a software command sent over a virtual serial port.  There are
also situations where Win-Test "waits for confirmation" that PTT has
closed, and if it doesn't get  it, there can be an unacceptable delay.
 That doesn't happen when using LPT/COM pins.

If you plan to operate mixed mode or phone with voice keyer messages, I
recommend using the Win-Test internal voice keyer with the sound card set
to "USB Voice Codec" (MK2R+ sound card) rather than trying to use the MK2R+
as an "external" DVK controlled by software and the control protocol.

I learned so far, that scenarios can be programmed in the USB-Device Router
> (switchable with the four funcion keys in the center of the MK2R+) and in
> WT itself.

Just use select one scenario in the MK2R+; use Operating | Modify the
scenarios in Win-Test.

> In addition to that there are some more "setups" e.g. "headphone split"
> etc. available from the WT menus.

You can split headphones automatically via the Advanced Scenarios (e.g.
$R1R2), or Manually via AltGr-A, -S, -T.

> My main questions at that time are:
> - How do you decide which scenarios to use (Microham or WT)?

Just use the WT ones.

> - What is the difference between "SO2R" and "Advanced SO2R" in the WT
> Operarting -> Technique menu?

In order to modify and customize the WT scenarios that automatically switch
headphones and TX focus from a CW or voice keyer message, you must select
Advanced SO2R.

Any help would appreciated! Thanks!

In the Jul/Aug 2011 *NCJ*, K0DQ wrote an example of how he successfully
uses the SO2R features of Win-Test.  See

http://ncjweb.com/NCJ-JulAug-Redd-BonusContentFinal.pdf

for some setup details.  He didn't use an MK2R+, but you can control
headphones with an MK2R+ just as easily as you can do it with the Piexx
SO2Rxlat and a DX Doubler.

If you get stuck, send me a screen shot of every tab in the microHAM Router
and the Win-Test SETUP menu, including all the COM port configurations.