[WT-support] winkey complete string instead of individual characters

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 8 23:26:49 CET 2011

I believe one reason Win-Test does it this way is to allow editing of a
logged callsign while it is still being sent, allowing you to start sending
before typing the callsign is complete.  You can even go back and insert
characters while the call is being sent (if your typing is quick enough),
and also change speeds in the middle of a message using the speed up and
speed down commands.

If using an Elecraft K3 remotely, you could theoretically use a proper
wtRadio:Send() in a LUA script to send a string of ASCII characters to the
built-in CW keyer of the radio, all at once.  The ASCII-to-CW command is
documented in the K3 Programmer's Reference.  There may be other radios
that support ASCII-to-CW via serial port, but for others you might be able
to activate CW memories for fixed messages such as your CQ, the exchange,
your callsign, etc., but not $LOGGEDCALL.

Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to retreive $LOGGEDCALL, or
pass it as an argument to LUA script, so I see no way to work around this
in a natural way.  You could use a pop-up dialog to prompt for callsigns to
send (like the StackCalls scripts at http://bit.ly/wtscripts), but that
would be an awkward workaround.