[WT-support] computer question

Rick Dougherty NQ4I nq4i at contesting.com
Mon May 30 13:14:01 CEST 2011

I know that this is a little off topic, but I think the list contains
some people who are a lot smarter than I am when it comes to
computers..so here goes:

I have 18 or 19 computers running Win-Test, it varies from time to
time, and they are required to interface with the MicroHam Micro
keyers( version I) ...using Windows XP
is the answer because in XP they have audio interfaces etc that work
well with the MicroKeyers...most of the shack computers are PII's and
PIII's and do a great job....when Vista and Windows 7 came out, they
re did the audio interface stuff and it is just not there to support
the audio needs of MK....I have 3 super fast machines that were 2800
mhz lots of RAM etc...we cleaned off the hard drives and installed my
stable version of XP....lo and behold, there are a number of drivers
missing...most are related to USB functions, and USB is the way MK
talks to WT.....these 3
super fast machines are a proverbial pain in the tush! I have spent
time searching for drivers etc and still I am missing some...

question 1.  Is there a way in Vista or Windows 7 to easily interface
with MK and WT? Especially audio functions for SSB use..we use an USB
external sound card and it works great with XP.

question 2. Is there a easy foolproof way to get the drivers needed to
make the current computer situation work?

I appologize for being such a big dummy here, but I also build
antennas, towers, maintain 11 operating stations, cut the grass, and
even have a full time job too.

de Rick NQ4I

ps the xyl is in there too