[WT-support] PTT on COM port and WINKEY

Satoshi Nakamura 9m6na at jsfc.org
Thu Jan 20 15:45:51 CET 2011

Hi Bob again,

Thank you for your explanation and advice.

> Win-test used to have this problem if you pressed Escape or $QSOB4 was sent
> because of a dupe.  That was fixed.

I checked it again and found out that the problem still exists when
Automatic CQ Repeat is enabled.  When Automatic CQ Repeat is enabled on
F1, pressing Escape or any other keys interrupt the CQ, but the
headphones stay on the secondary radio.  If this problem is solved, I
may be able to live with the Advanced SO2R.

> Maybe they can fix it so that $R1R2 is
> also activated if WinKey CW is interrupted by paddles.

Yes, I hope such modification will be made in the near future.

> Then I tried to choose "Listen to the secondary radio during transmit
> > (headphone latch) AltGr+L" from the Operating menu, but I couldn't do so
> > as it was grayed out always.
> >

> Yes, the manual says:
>
> "If this box is disabled (grayed out), it means that your SO2R controller
> does not support the required
> commands. Configuring either a microHAM or EZMaster SO2R controller in
> Win-Test will enable this
> feature."
>
> I think they could probably make it work with OTRSP devices as well, they
> just have not done it yet, since OTRSP support is very new.

Yes, I hope this modification will be made too.

> > So my question is very simple.  Is there any way to obtain "PTT" on a
> > COM port when WINKEY is present on another COM port?
> >

> No.

OK, I understand.  It is unfortunate that my SO2R switch box does not
work with Win-Test as it is designed, but I hope some rectifications and
modifications above will make all my wishes come true.

> The MK2R Router program has two checkboxes for both "latch mode" and
> "monitor" that put the headphones on the opposite radio during
> transmissions, but also let you monitor what is sent on the paddles.

That sounds great.  However, I don't think I can afford buying MK2R. Hi.

> I think so.  You just have to remember to press Escape to interrupt computer
> CW, instead of tapping the paddles.

OK, I will.

> The WinKey paddle interrupt doesn't work very well anyway.  If you squeeze
> or hold the paddles during computer transmission, sending is halted, but the
> paddle goes dead.  I've always felt that the WinKey would be much more
> usable if it started sending immediately with a dot or dash, instead of
> forcing you to "double-tap" the paddles to interrupt and send.

I see.  I had not realized this problem yet.

> One option is to use the WinKey only for paddle sending, and Win-Test timing
> for all CW keying and PTT via COM port DTR and RTS pins.
>
> Right now I use yet another option.  I connect two paddles, one to each
> radio, and use the internal radio keyers for paddle sending, and use the
> WinKey or LPT or COM port keying for computer sending.  Again, the paddles
> don't interrupt the computer CW, so you'll have to press Escape, but you can
> instantly transmit on whatever radio you want (lockout circuit required to
> prevent transmission by two radios at the same time).  I use Win-Test
> scripts to keep the K3 internal keyer speed matched to the Win-Test keying
> speed (minus 1 or 2 WPM).  See http://bit.ly/wtscripts (K3scripts.zip).
>
> A feature missing from Win-Test is the ability to use two different CW
> speeds, one on each radio.  Using the radio keyer lets me do that when I
> need it, via the speed knob and paddle sending.

Thank you for your explanation.  I will bare in mind your ideas for
improving my station setup and operation style.

73,

Saty JE1JKL