[WT-support] PTT on COM port and WINKEY

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jan 19 20:24:46 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Satoshi Nakamura <9m6na at jsfc.org> wrote:

> Yes, what I would like to do is to put both headphones on the
> non-transmit radio when Win-Test is sending CW via the WINKEY.
>
> First, I tried Advanced SO2R scenarios.  They worked fine.
> For example, $RESET $R2R2 $F1 $R1R2 let me listen to the secondary radio
> on the both ears while sending CQ message.  However, the problem was
> that the headphones stay on the secondary radio when the transmission
> was interrupted by hitting a key or paddles accidentally during the
> transmission.

Win-test used to have this problem if you pressed Escape or $QSOB4 was sent
because of a dupe.  That was fixed.  Maybe they can fix it so that $R1R2 is
also activated if WinKey CW is interrupted by paddles.

Then I tried to choose "Listen to the secondary radio during transmit
> (headphone latch) AltGr+L" from the Operating menu, but I couldn't do so
> as it was grayed out always.

Yes, the manual says:

"If this box is disabled (grayed out), it means that your SO2R controller
does not support the required
commands. Configuring either a microHAM or EZMaster SO2R controller in
Win-Test will enable this
feature."

I think they could probably make it work with OTRSP devices as well, they
just have not done it yet, since OTRSP support is very new.

> So I planned to have a "latch mode" override button in my switch box.
> To make the headphones put on the non-transmit radio during the
> transmission, I need to obtain "TX focus" and "TX/RX status=PTT".
> "TX focus" is present on the SO2Rxlat board (OTRSP compatible device) on
> COM6.  However, "PTT" is not there.  Fortunately, SO2Rxlat board has 2nd
> serial port, I set it as Other Device on COM7 and set the RTS to "PTT".
>
> My problem now is that "PTT" on COM7 RTS is not present.  I have
> confirmed that the "PTT" on COM7 RTS is present if WINKEY is removed
> from COM5.

Yes, that's the problem.  Once you enable a WinKey, the WinKey has to own
the PTT (and PTT lead and tail).  Maybe you need to build a little logic
circuit to calculate TX focus and TX Status from the WinKey PTT1 and PTT2
inputs, but it may not be worth the trouble.

> So my question is very simple.  Is there any way to obtain "PTT" on a
> COM port when WINKEY is present on another COM port?

No.

> My problem may also be solved if the "headphone latch" on the operating
> menu (AltGr+L) is enabled.

I think it's a Win-Test bug (or temporary limitation) that this box is not
enabled when OTRSP protocol is selected.  Fortunately you can get the same
function via the $R2R2 command, then pressing Escape to halt computer CW
before sending with the paddles.

> Actually, I have not tried latch mode in a practical situation in my
> life.  I don't know how much I can avoid sending CW with paddles.  I
> think some super operators enjoy latch mode even on CW.  If so, I would
> like to try it.  But if not, I may have to abandon such a stupid idea.

The MK2R Router program has two checkboxes for both "latch mode" and
"monitor" that put the headphones on the opposite radio during
transmissions, but also let you monitor what is sent on the paddles.

So my question I really want to ask may be "does anyone enjoy latch mode
> on CW?" although it is not related to Win-Test anymore.

I think so.  You just have to remember to press Escape to interrupt computer
CW, instead of tapping the paddles.

The WinKey paddle interrupt doesn't work very well anyway.  If you squeeze
or hold the paddles during computer transmission, sending is halted, but the
paddle goes dead.  I've always felt that the WinKey would be much more
usable if it started sending immediately with a dot or dash, instead of
forcing you to "double-tap" the paddles to interrupt and send.

One option is to use the WinKey only for paddle sending, and Win-Test timing
for all CW keying and PTT via COM port DTR and RTS pins.

Right now I use yet another option.  I connect two paddles, one to each
radio, and use the internal radio keyers for paddle sending, and use the
WinKey or LPT or COM port keying for computer sending.  Again, the paddles
don't interrupt the computer CW, so you'll have to press Escape, but you can
instantly transmit on whatever radio you want (lockout circuit required to
prevent transmission by two radios at the same time).  I use Win-Test
scripts to keep the K3 internal keyer speed matched to the Win-Test keying
speed (minus 1 or 2 WPM).  See http://bit.ly/wtscripts (K3scripts.zip).

A feature missing from Win-Test is the ability to use two different CW
speeds, one on each radio.  Using the radio keyer lets me do that when I
need it, via the speed knob and paddle sending.