[WT-support] PTT on COM port and WINKEY

Satoshi Nakamura 9m6na at jsfc.org
Wed Jan 19 13:51:49 CET 2011

Hi Bob,

It's been already 5 years since we met in Menlo Park!

OK, I try to explain my problem further.

I have CW1/2 and PTT1/2 working OK with WINKEY on COM5.
I have my headphones working OK with a homebrew switch box incorporating
SO2Rxlat board (an OTRSP compatible device) on COM6.  The switch box
obtains "RX focus" and "Stereo/Mono status" from this OTRSP compatible
device.

Yes, what I would like to do is to put both headphones on the
non-transmit radio when Win-Test is sending CW via the WINKEY.

First, I tried Advanced SO2R scenarios.  They worked fine.
For example, $RESET $R2R2 $F1 $R1R2 let me listen to the secondary radio
on the both ears while sending CQ message.  However, the problem was
that the headphones stay on the secondary radio when the transmission
was interrupted by hitting a key or paddles accidentally during the
transmission.

Then I tried to choose "Listen to the secondary radio during transmit
(headphone latch) AltGr+L" from the Operating menu, but I couldn't do so
as it was grayed out always.

So I planned to have a "latch mode" override button in my switch box.
To make the headphones put on the non-transmit radio during the
transmission, I need to obtain "TX focus" and "TX/RX status=PTT".
"TX focus" is present on the SO2Rxlat board (OTRSP compatible device) on
COM6.  However, "PTT" is not there.  Fortunately, SO2Rxlat board has 2nd
serial port, I set it as Other Device on COM7 and set the RTS to "PTT".

My problem now is that "PTT" on COM7 RTS is not present.  I have
confirmed that the "PTT" on COM7 RTS is present if WINKEY is removed
from COM5.

So my question is very simple.  Is there any way to obtain "PTT" on a
COM port when WINKEY is present on another COM port?

My problem may also be solved if the "headphone latch" on the operating
menu (AltGr+L) is enabled.

Actually, I have not tried latch mode in a practical situation in my
life.  I don't know how much I can avoid sending CW with paddles.  I
think some super operators enjoy latch mode even on CW.  If so, I would
like to try it.  But if not, I may have to abandon such a stupid idea.

So my question I really want to ask may be "does anyone enjoy latch mode
on CW?" although it is not related to Win-Test anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated very much.

Thank you.
73,

Saty JE1JKL