[WT-support] Fwd: Microham u2R behavior with Win-Test

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Dec 2 20:14:49 CET 2011

Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> Which version of u2R firmware and Router software are you using?  You
> cannot download the versions I used from the microHAM web site; you have to
> ask W4TV to send them to you.  Every user of Win-Test with a micro2R really
> needs them too.
>
> Does the INSERT message contain $LOGGEDCALL $QSOB4 $F2 or just $LOGGED
> something else?  Is Options CW Work Dupes *un*-checked?  Maybe it needs to
> be *checked*, especially if $QSOB4 is missing from the message, but I'm not
> sure.
>
> What is in the $F2 message?  $RST$ZONE or ++++$RST$ZONE----?  The WinKey
> does not handle speed jumps well when using Win-Test.  If you take away the
> "++++" and "----", or move them to the INSERT message, does the problem go
> away?
>
> Did you select Options | WinKey Configuration | Short spaces (CT space), in
> both Win-Test and the microHAM WinKey tab?  Is Auto space checked in both
> dialogs?  Is the WinKey PTT Lead/Tail both set to 0 in both places?

It continues to amaze me that something so simple can be made so
complicated. :) All thanks to the lack of a reasonable protocol on
top of USB that everyone could benefit from.

I wonder if there's any interest to work together on creating such a
protocol?

It would simplify code running in hardware devices, and it would also
be really easy to use in software running on the PC.

The key (no pun intended) is to create a protocol with as high-level
operations and functions as possible, and only include low-level
details where they are absolutely neccessary. This makes the device
firmware easy to write, yet it allows the PC software control of
low-level details where neccessary.

//Peter