[WT-support] win-test 3 and 4

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Nov 17 22:53:35 CET 2010

Sorry to hear about all the lighting damage.

My advice would be to install Version 4 only, on all the new computers, and
never look back to Version 3.  Version 3 is no longer supported (no more
fixes being planned).

There were no reports of major issues with V4 during CQ WW Phone or WRTC or
ARRL Sweepstakes.  It was released over 16 months ago and is very stable and
reliable.  Be sure to update the Country files and Super Check Partial files
and you will be in good shape.

The only difference you will notice at first between V3 and V4 is that there
are now bright yellow sunlight bars at the bottom of the Check Multipliers
window.  You can remove those by right clicking on the window and selecting
Display Options.

The other difference is that by default, logs, and country files and
databases are now stored in a new place that is a pain to get to using
Windows, but the new File | Explore menu in Win-Test helps you locate them
easily.

In sum, I can't think of a single reason to install Version 3 if you have to
get brand new computers and reconfigure everything anyway.