[WT-support] Support for WinKeyer version 23?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Nov 15 22:50:15 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Mikael Larsmark <mike at sm3wmv.com> wrote:

> Win-Test is not very good at generating CW. I have never had problems
> with any other software doing this except Win-Test. I've had several
> computers with stuttering CW before I started using Winkey, both with
> COM port CW generation as well as LPT port.

If you're judging the quality of the CW by listening to the PC speaker
instead of the radio's sidetone, you can easily be fooled into thinking that
Win-Test generates poor sounding "stuttering" CW.

In my experience, Win-Test does a much *better* job of generating high
quality CW on a COM or LPT port than either Writelog or N1MM software or
even TRlog under DOS.  The only feature really missing is keying
compensation (a feature that allows you to lengthen every dot or dash, or
just the first one, by a fixed amount, regardless of speed).

I have only seen *one* computer where Win-Test generated poor CW on an LPT
or COM port, and that PC was running Windows Vista.  Others have no
problems.  On Windows XP and Windows 7 32-bit, I've never seen a timing
problem unless I tried to mess with the Win-Test menu bar while sending CW,
but that was on a slow (1 GHz) Windows XP notebook, and that issue may
already have been fixed.

These days I mostly use the internal K3 keyer for paddle sending, and the
Winkey for messages, and use Lua scripts to keep the speeds in sync.

For WRTC we used real COM port keying and radio keyers, and there were no CW
timing issues whatsoever (using XP and Win7).