[WT-support] RDXC Woes

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Mon Mar 22 06:48:22 CET 2010

I set up WT (V4.2.0) for RDXC.  Everything looked good, with a short dummy
run failing to highlight any issues.  Apparently, I should have tried
logging contacts with letters as opposed to numbers in the exchange field
but didn't !

As soon as the contest got under way my nightmare started.  Exchanges
received from Russian stations were guessed correctly but then immediately
munged by what I guess is a cut number converter, as soon as the contact was
logged.  I took a quick look through the menus and made a cursory
examination of the Wiki in my quest to slay this monster but failed to find
success.  I rather optimistically, entered 'CUTOFF' in the call field but WT
immediately responded with an 'error in field' response.  Frustrated, I
abandoned WT in favour of an old version of another logger.  I lost only 10
minutes, which is hardly the end of the world so far as RDXC is concerned
but I also lost the opportunity to give my finely honed ESM script a proper
work out.  Ah well, next time.

A look through the archives appears to confirm this effect to be the work of
a cut number converter but suggests it is enabled/disabled automatically
depending upon its compatibility with the contest loaded.  RDXC an oversight
perhaps?

I imagine there is something I should have done but didn't.  I'll really
appreciate it if someone can tell me what it is.

Bob, 5B4AGN

PS If there isn't already a way to switch this feature on/off depending upon
operator preference, I would like to make a plea that such be implemented.
After 40+ years of CW contesting my brain is hard wired with a cut number
converter.