[WT-support] RDXC Woes

Boris Knezovic E73Y t93y at lol.ba
Mon Mar 22 07:15:52 CET 2010

On 22-Mar-2010 06:48, Bob Henderson wrote:
> I set up WT (V4.2.0) for RDXC.  Everything looked good, with a short dummy
> run failing to highlight any issues.  Apparently, I should have tried
> logging contacts with letters as opposed to numbers in the exchange field
> but didn't !
>
> As soon as the contest got under way my nightmare started.  Exchanges
> received from Russian stations were guessed correctly but then immediately
> munged by what I guess is a cut number converter, as soon as the contact was
> logged.  I took a quick look through the menus and made a cursory
> examination of the Wiki in my quest to slay this monster but failed to find
> success.  I rather optimistically, entered 'CUTOFF' in the call field but WT
> immediately responded with an 'error in field' response.  Frustrated, I
> abandoned WT in favour of an old version of another logger.  I lost only 10
> minutes, which is hardly the end of the world so far as RDXC is concerned
> but I also lost the opportunity to give my finely honed ESM script a proper
> work out.  Ah well, next time.
>
> A look through the archives appears to confirm this effect to be the work of
> a cut number converter but suggests it is enabled/disabled automatically
> depending upon its compatibility with the contest loaded.  RDXC an oversight
> perhaps?
>
> I imagine there is something I should have done but didn't.  I'll really
> appreciate it if someone can tell me what it is.
>
> Bob, 5B4AGN
>
> PS If there isn't already a way to switch this feature on/off depending upon
> operator preference, I would like to make a plea that such be implemented.
> After 40+ years of CW contesting my brain is hard wired with a cut number
> converter.

Bob,

I have operated whole contest from E73M Contest QTH where is no internet
connection with 3.27.1 which had same "feature" activated. Quick check
to the mailing list archives stored on my laptop revealed that solution
is to manually edit cabrillo after the contest. Not much of a solution
for a contester defending the CW title...

IMHO, number translation was not done properly beacase when someone
sends B or V I never log 7 or 3 but ask for a repeat. I would not
mention translations such as VR into 3R or TO into 0O which does not
make sense at all...

73's Boris E73Y
--
Boris Knezovic E73Y, P.O. Box 59, Sarajevo BA-71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina
E-mail: t93y at lol.ba or boris at t93y.com
WEB Page: http://www.t93y.com