[WT-support] Performance Problem

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Wed Jul 14 12:12:10 CEST 2010

Hi Federico and Bob

IW1QN Federico a écrit :

> I try to write E21YDP, just I insert E21YDP, there is a big delay and
> Appear on my monitor E21 wait 2/3 seconds and then YDP...........
> The problem is Here, when I insert the complet call WinTest sometime is
> not ready.
>
> I try now after the contest and Record is OFF, and now is ready........
> What is a good Balance for obtain WinTest with a Good Speed and
> Recording Audio?
> I must use High Compression (Low Quality Audio) or Low Compression (High
> Quality Audio).
> Normally I use High COmpression.

Nevertheless, I think there is something wrong with your configuration
or your system.

During the IARU HF at TM0HQ, I used my eeePC for a RUN station, with an
ATOM downclocked at 1.3 GHz (only !) and we had much over 15000 Q in
network ! I was also live recording at that time.

Please check the task manager when your computer is that slow, and
ensure other process do not spend CPU. As Bob pointed out, some
antivirus program are sometimes the culprits. Disable them for a short
time, if any, and check if Win-Test is always slow. FYI, I had (free)
Avast running on my eeePC, but YMMV...

Regarding the audio compression, we recommend to use the Fraunhofer
codec. We usually set it at a sampling rate of 8000, 110000 or 160000
samples/s, and a bit rate around 24 or 32 kbits/s (I don't have the
correct values on the top of my head).

Hope this helps