[WT-support] Parallel port keying with Windows 7

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 27 03:36:22 CET 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 8:29 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> What error message do you get?

Here's the sequence:
  1.  Go to my download directory and right click on "port95nt.exe".
  2.  Click on "Properties", and select "Compatibility" tab.
  3.  Click on "Run in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2".  (Since I've been doing LPT port keying in CT-Win for years on my older machine, under WinXP SP2.)
  3a.  Also click on "Run as Administrator".
  4.  Click on "Apply" and then "OK"; the box closes.
  5.  Double click on "port95nt.exe".
  6.  A new window opens, saying:
          "The following file is already installed on the system:  ".....Temp\pft1~tmp\SETUP.INS".  (From my previous failed attempts.)  Overwrite?  I choose "Yes".
  7.  The above repeats for the following files:  setup.exe; setup.pkg; setup.iss; setup.ini; _mst32I.EX_; _ISDEL.EXE; _SETUP.DLL; _SETUP.LIB; _SETUP.1; DISK1.ID; _setup.2; Disk2.id.
  8.  After overwriting the last of those files, that window closes and a new one opens with the title:  "Unsupported 16-bit Application".  The text in the window says:
          "The program or feature "....\Temp\pft1~tmp\SETUP.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows.  Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.  I click "OK".
  9.  Another window is behind that one.  It says:
          "Unable to Execute:   "...SETUP.EXE /SMS".  I click "OK".
10.  The next window says "Package For the Web Error; Unable to execute the specified command line."  I click "OK".  No more windows.

If I should then, in a fit of rash optimism, reboot the PC, I get a window following the boot process that says words to the effect of "DLPORTIO.DLL did not install."

Bud, W2RU

> Once you get Port95NT.EXE installed and running

Hah!

> I hope you're using a real parallel port, not a USB-to-Parallel port interface; those don't work well enough for CW keying.

Agreed.  Yes, I have both a motherboard-mounted LPT1 and a PCI card LPT3 in this machine.

> Again, what error message to you get?  "DLPortIO not loaded?"

Yes, preceded by the same sequence described above.

There is one more possible "out".  One reason I bought Win7 Professional 64 instead of Win7 Home Premium is because with Pro you can download a Windows XP Mode add-on and a Virtual PC add-on for free from MS.  I don't know yet whether either of them will do any good.  (The former is a 500 MB download -- it's coming in as I type this.)

BTW, this is a long-festering issue on this machine.  I just bought the copy of Win7 Pro 64 but for months I had been running the Win7 Ultimate 64 RCE, and I had the same problem trying to key the parallel ports with CT-Win.  I know the ports are there because the key line is activated for perhaps 30 seconds during boot-up; it's just that we hams aren't allowed to get at it.

Bud, W2RU