[WT-support] Parallel port keying with Windows 7

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Feb 27 02:29:27 CET 2010

>  On Feb 26, 2010, at 7:59 PM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY wrote:
>
> > Hi Bud
> >
> > W2RU - Bud Hippisley a écrit :
> >
> >> Has anyone come up with a way of initializing parallel port CW keying
> under Windows 7?
> >
> > No experience on this topic, but try this :
> >
> > http://weblog.hansotten.com/?p=914
>

> Thanks, Larry, but that doesn't work on Win7 Pro 64-bit here.  I just spent
> an hour trying that exact suggestion and a few others that I found on a
> Microsoft forum.  It's possible that might work on a 32-bit version of Win7,
> but I have only 64-bit here.

What error message do you get?

Once you get Port95NT.EXE installed and running (and I think you have to
reboot after install), you'll probably need to follow the steps outlined in
the Wiki to enter your parallel port address, since Win-Test doesn't figure
it out automatically.

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Printer_Ports

I hope you're using a real parallel port, not a USB-to-Parallel port
interface; those don't work well enough for CW keying.

Another suggestion on one of the MS forums was to load port95nt.exe on a
> jump drive on a WinXP machine, then bring the jump drive to the Win7 machine
> and execute the utility from the jump drive.  We tried that here, too, but
> it did not work.

Again, what error message to you get?  "DLPortIO not loaded?"