[WT-support] Prefills from previous contest logs

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 10 08:34:40 CEST 2010

Win-Test only has very limited support for "pre-fill" files, which Win-Test
calls "Database files."  They have the extension ".dtb".

See http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Database_Files .

Note that database files support only ONE field of data, not the TWO fields
required for NAQP (Name and State).  In sum, there is no "pre-fill" support
in Win-Test for the NAQP.  For other contests, you can do File | Update
database when you have your contest log open and you wish to repopulate the
.dtb file with data from the new log.

For NAQP, create your own ASCII text file containing CALLSIGN, NAME, and
STATE.  Give it a file name you can remember, like NAQP.xdt (.xdt = "Extra
Data"). Then open the "Extra Information" window (press Alt-X).  Enter a
callsign in the logging window, and the data about that station appears in
the Extra Information window, if found.

Some programs call this feature a "names database."  It doesn't pre-fill the
logging data, but it tells you what you need to know.   But Win-Test will
not build this .xdt file for you; you have to do it yourself.

Please see

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#Extra_Information

for information on selecting which .xdt files are to be used.