[WT-support] Caps Lock- ASCII code

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 9 13:42:04 CEST 2009

Sadly Bob it did not. I have a suspicion that 20( decimal) is not
actually an ASCII code for the key, but some kind of Visual Basic token
but I am not sure.

So it looks like Mark is right and that there is no ASCII code per se
for the Caps Lock key.

Clearly there is a way of intercepting that key as the base WT code does
so, but I suspect this is done at a pretty low level in C++ and is not
available to mere mortals. Therefore unless Laurent or Olivier can help
us, we are stuffed I fear. This really is a shame as it prevents any
possibility of automating the data entry shift to the second radio in
SO2R, and that imo seriously limits the efficiency of WT in that mode.

The situation is compounded by the fact that it is not possible to
redefine the Caps Lock key with Tools|Redefine keyboard keys, just as
previously the Pause key resisted such redefinition. I have no idea why
this should be so, and once again we are in the hands of the authors to
elucidate.

There is a freeware programme called Caps Lock Changer which can
allegedly do that at the OS level, but tbh I found it to be pretty badly
behaved and deleted it. I know you are a more patient person than I am
;-) , so perhaps you might like to give it a try. A Google search will
find it.

In the meantime I'll keep commuting from WT to N1MM :-(

73

Clive
GW3NJW