[WT-support] wtRotator and Alphaspid

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Nov 27 05:08:14 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Peter Bacon <peter at g3zss.com> wrote:

>  I am trying to configure wtRotator to work with my Alphaspid rotator.
> When I start the wtRotator programme I can see that it is displaying "COM1
> to Alphapid: opened".  Likewise if I try to set the antenna direction from
> within WT, then I see the log window showing the command such as "Set
> Alphaspid rotator to : 120".
>
> However the main rotator window only shows dotted lines at not the beam
> heading.  Likewise changing the direction by Cntl F12 or right clicking on
> the rotator window does nothing.
> I have normal control of the rotator if I switch to HRD rotator programme
> so I know the com1 interface is working, but I cannot get it to work in
> wtRotator.
> Any ideas?

Peter,

First, what version of wtRotators are you using, and what version of
Win-Test?  A number of things were fixed in both programs since the original
releases.

Second, have you specified the same broadcast address and port number for
Win-Test, wtRotators and (optionally) wtDxTelnet, as described
here<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Rotators>
?

Every program (Win-Test, wtDxTelnet, and wtRotators) has to use the same
broadcast address and port number, or else they will not communicate
properly.  If they're all running on the same machine, use the loopback
address shown in the referenced pages.

You may also want to try the development version if you still can't get it
working.

http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin (includes wtRotators 1.3)
http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly/wt_dev.zip (includes wtRotators
1.4.0-dev)

Note that Win-Test cannot start the *development* version
of wtRotators_dev.exe automatically unless you rename it wtRotators.exe (not
recommended); you have to start the dev. version yourself by double clicking
on the program.

Finally, it's possible that a firewall program has blocked the port that the
programs use to communicate (port 9871 by default)   In that case, you'll
have to figure out how to unblock it or maybe try a different port number.

Also consider trying the more user-friendly PstRotatorsAz program (free)
instead of wtRotators as it is compatible with Win-Test and I know at least
one guy who really likes it and prefers it.  Download here:

http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm