[WT-support] wt_dev.exe problem

Steve Wilson, G3VMW steve at g3vmw.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 22:39:09 CET 2009

In message <mailman.1595.1257191502.1610.support at win-test.com>,
support-request at win-test.com writes
>On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM, G0AFH <g0afh at g0afh.com> wrote:
>
>> I've just purchased WT 4.2.0. Unfortunately AVG free says it is infected
>> with Win32/Themida.
>>
>> I'm presuming that it probably isn't infected and AVG is just flagging
>> it as a false positive. Has anyone else seen this and is there a work
>> around?
>>

>Yes, this has been reported on this reflector many times within the past few
>weeks, and it is a false alarm.
>
>One work-around is to run wt_dev.exe from
>http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly instead of wt.exe (which will be
>very hard to replace now if AVG has quarantined it).
>
>Others have simply chosen to uninstall AVG completely.

Bob,

I tried the wt_dev.exe work around file that you suggested above and I'm
getting the same virus warning from the AVG 9 on my radio PC. I just
renewed the virus database update subscription for two years on AVG,
which has always behaved impeccably previously. TBH, I'm not keen to
remove AVG 9 from my PC as a result of a single false positive in WT
4.2.

However, one major additional complication with both wt.exe and
wt_dev.exe for WT 4.2 was that even when I told AVG 9 to ignore the
perceived virus threat, neither file would run on my Win XP PC. They
both flagged a windows error suggesting I didn't have the permissions to
run the file(s).

In the end, I gave up and went to a restore point for November 1st and
so resurrected Win-Test 4.1, which runs perfectly.

Thanks for the help, but it rather looks like I'll have to run with
version 4.1 for now.

Steve Wilson, G3VMW
Bramham, Wetherby, West Yorkshire