[WT-support] wt_dev.exe problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 3 00:10:51 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Steve Wilson, G3VMW <steve at g3vmw.demon.co.uk
> wrote:

> However, one major additional complication with both wt.exe and
> wt_dev.exe for WT 4.2 was that even when I told AVG 9 to ignore the
> perceived virus threat, neither file would run on my Win XP PC. They
> both flagged a windows error suggesting I didn't have the permissions to
> run the file(s).

AVG does that.  It somehow marks the file as "not executable".  You might be
able to fix that manually by adding an AVG exception as described by LA8AW
today, or by uninstall and reinstall, or by removing it from quarantine or
by selecting the "Properties" of the wt.exe file and making sure it is not
marked "Execute = Deny".  Deleting AVG will also restore normal operation of
WT.EXE

This link<https://www.virustotal.com/analisis/ac6b83c7dbb93960166b7ec8848f270103cd355375b9a334993066d5b698a16f-1256057346>from
http://www.VirusTotal.com shows that 7 out of 41 anti-virus scanners,
including AVG, are mistakenly flagging WT 4.2 as a Virus due to the new
packing algorithm being used.

Here's an old thread<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=184840>describing
the problem.