[WT-support] WT RTTY (radio 1) window width - font size

Art Searle W2NRA w2nra at optonline.net
Mon Mar 2 15:15:06 CET 2009

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the reply.  I am using 2 monitors, a 22 inch and a 20 inch,
both wide screen monitors.  I find your suggestion unacceptable for RTTY
contesting.  To set my RTTY windows with a font that is large enough to
comfortably see for extended periods of time the window is half as wide as
my monitor.  I tried this in the NAQP RTTY contest.  My RTTY window was
sized with a font of 12 pr (that is not overly large) and had the ability to
display 79 characters per row.  Throughout the contest the display never
used more than 56 characters of that width.  That is a total waste of 30
percent of that window's space.  MMTTY stand-alone can be set to just about
any font and screen width you want and line wrap still works.  WriteLog also
allows this.  So does N1MM Logger.  More importantly, besides just wasting
space, this problem requires placing other windows with important contesting
data out of view.  You have to look farther, beyond the RTTY window.  In my
opinion this is not a minor problem and makes Win-Test almost unusable for
RTTY contests.  From your reply I assume the programmers of Win-Test have no
interest in addressing this problem.  Right?

This would be a shame because this program worked so well for me in the ARRL
DX CW contest and, as I've written before, this software is so close to
being an excellent SO2V RTTY contesting program.  It only needs to have
Radio 2 read Radio 1 VFO B and commands to leave the radio in Dual receive
all the time and something like Ctrl+Right Arrow and Ctrl+Left Arrow to
switch transmit between VFO A and VFO B incorporated into switching between
Radio 1 and Radio 2 commands.  Of course in SO2V Radio 1 and Radio 2 are the
same radio but different VFOs.

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com