[WT-support] Ver 4, SO2R, WinkeyerUSB

hank.k8dd hank.k8dd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 02:21:34 CEST 2009

Second Output (Pin5) to Radio 2   ......  No - the display changes radios,
but the WinkeyerUSB does not.

But with that set and using Scenario 1 as Alternate CQ and making Primary
Radio F1:
$TR1 $RESET $R1R1 $F1 $ALTERNATECQ
And Secondary Radio F1:
$TR2 $RESET $R1R1 $F1 $R1R2
the dueling CQ works properly.
So it works like dueling CQ's should.

If I press * it switches radios on the screen, but the Winkeyer does not
switch until I press a F key - F4 to send my call.  It looks like the only
way to switch radios and use the paddle is to use an F key to send a dit.
Then the paddle will work.

Seems like it would be nice to have the * send the $TR# for the other radio,
but it should work like it is now.

On the secondary radio window the RX lights switch, but the TX lights don't
light.

I know the WinkeyerUSB is not a complete SO2R box, but I have a manual box
that lets me select L/R radio in both ears or a radio in each ear - kind of
crude I guess, but it works!

I've got it working sort of manual SO2R, no dueling CQs at the momentand the
lights on the secondary radio are working.  Not sure how I did it, but I'm
going to write it all down so I can duplicate it later!

Thanks for the ideas, Bob!

73    Hank    K8DD

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv at arrl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM, hank.k8dd <hank.k8dd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then I tried SO2R.  Both the information for the K3 and the K2 show up,
>> but I can't switch radios on CW.  The display switches from Radio1 to Radio
>> 2, but the WinkeyerUSB does not switch outputs.
>>

> In WKSETUP (Options | WinKey configuration), did you set *Second Output
> (Pin 5)* to *Radio 2*?  Please try it and report results.
>
> It may not work.  I don't see the red "active TX" indicators change in the
> Secondary Radio window when I press [*]. Only the "Active RX" bars are being
> swapped.  Maybe that's a just display issue, and it still works.
>
> Question for the WT developers:  does Win-Test generate the WinKey "Set
> PinConfig" <09>nn command?  That seems to be the only way to switch between
> Key 1 and Key 2 outputs.  See Page 8 in the WinKey USB manual<http://k1el.tripod.com/WinkeyUSBman.pdf>
> .
>
> The WinkeyerUSB is not an SO2R box like EZMaster or microHAM MK2R.  It
> doesn't support headphone or microphone switching, only CW Key and PTT
> switching.  So a WinKey cannot support all of the SO2R functions built into
> Win-Test, only some of them.
>
> Have you tried putting the $TR1 and $TR2 macros into a CW message?  These
> may not work either.  These macros may only work with supported SO2R boxes.
>
> If you have an LPT port, you can use the "active radio" pin (LPT Pin 14) to
> swap radios, but you'll need some circuitry to make it work, or a legacy
> SO2R box.
>
> You probably have to take care to tell Win-Test that you are using only ONE
> device for Radio 1 / Radio 2 switching.  If you have a microHAM MK2R listed
> on COM3:, a WinKey with Second Output (Pin 5) enabled on COM4:, and have
> "Active Radio" checked on LPT Pin 14, how is Win-Test supposed to know which
> one to use to switch radios?  Specify only ONE of these options.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV

"I knew that God put me on this earth to be on the radio."    Ed Bradley

"Me too!"    K8DD
-