[WT-support] Ver 4, SO2R, WinkeyerUSB

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Jul 23 23:01:36 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM, hank.k8dd <hank.k8dd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I tried SO2R.  Both the information for the K3 and the K2 show up, but
> I can't switch radios on CW.  The display switches from Radio1 to Radio 2,
> but the WinkeyerUSB does not switch outputs.

In WKSETUP (Options | WinKey configuration), did you set *Second Output (Pin
5)* to *Radio 2*?  Please try it and report results.

It may not work.  I don't see the red "active TX" indicators change in the
Secondary Radio window when I press [*]. Only the "Active RX" bars are being
swapped.  Maybe that's a just display issue, and it still works.

Question for the WT developers:  does Win-Test generate the WinKey "Set
PinConfig" <09>nn command?  That seems to be the only way to switch between
Key 1 and Key 2 outputs.  See Page 8 in the WinKey USB
manual<http://k1el.tripod.com/WinkeyUSBman.pdf>
.

The WinkeyerUSB is not an SO2R box like EZMaster or microHAM MK2R.  It
doesn't support headphone or microphone switching, only CW Key and PTT
switching.  So a WinKey cannot support all of the SO2R functions built into
Win-Test, only some of them.

Have you tried putting the $TR1 and $TR2 macros into a CW message?  These
may not work either.  These macros may only work with supported SO2R boxes.

If you have an LPT port, you can use the "active radio" pin (LPT Pin 14) to
swap radios, but you'll need some circuitry to make it work, or a legacy
SO2R box.

You probably have to take care to tell Win-Test that you are using only ONE
device for Radio 1 / Radio 2 switching.  If you have a microHAM MK2R listed
on COM3:, a WinKey with Second Output (Pin 5) enabled on COM4:, and have
"Active Radio" checked on LPT Pin 14, how is Win-Test supposed to know which
one to use to switch radios?  Specify only ONE of these options.